Follow Kenan's Story by Email

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Say, "Hi Kenan!"


One thing I cannot imitate for Kenan, the voices of children, the overlapping sounds of laughing, screaming, playing, and crying as they bounce off the surrounding playground, trees and buildings. A noise Kenan has enjoyed since he was an undiagnosed baby. Here we are at our local, around the corner, nothing fancy, rundown park. What's nice is that it is adjacent to a preschool. I try to time our visits with their recess. When children approach us with timid curiosity, I encourage them to ask questions, interact and most importantly say, "Hi Kenan!". We all want a friend. I can easily imagine his loneliness. As Kenan grows so do his social needs. 

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Chris Thomas of DesPlaines, IL (the older brother of my best friend from 213th St. in Euclid, OH). Earlier in the Spring his FCCDP Sunday School Class made several videos of the themselves singing, dancing, being silly and talking to Kenan and Tamsen. We play them periodically to fill in the gaps between Tamsen's playdates filling the room with the sound of children being children. 




No comments:

Post a Comment